API Development with CakePHP
CakePHP is an excellent platform for building APIs. It's MVC (Model View Controller) architecture lends itself well to rapidly building APIs that output in a variety of formats.
Most of the content has been removed from this page due to the fact that this talk was given using a now outdated version of CakePHP.
The agenda for the talk covered:
- Why your application should have an API.
- What is REST?
- A practical example of REST with CakePHP (a simple short URL service).
- Best practices for building APIs with CakePHP.
Some of the features that make CakePHP excelent for APIs include:
- The ability to easily write views for the three most common API output formats. Json, XML, and JsonP.
- Built-in RESTful routing.
- Ability to version your API using plugins.
I have given several talks on API development at various conferences and have decided to break out the key points into there own page rather than have it embedded in each.